Wednesday, May 21, 2008

GEEK LOVE

A novel.

I just finished reading this book, at the recommendation of half of the women in my life. I remember thinking to myself, "Hmm, Geek Love. I was a geek."

Well, no I wasn't. Nor have I ever known anyone who was. A Geek you see, is the person in a Carnival Freak show who bites the heads off of live chickens (and sometimes Geese). I must have just been a dork.

Geek Love is a fictional book by Katherine Dunn about a certain Carnival Family who decides to "engineer" their own freak show through a twisted process of drug filled pregnancies. So if drinking insecticide only gives you an albino dwarf baby, then next time add some LSD to the mix. I'm serious, this is what the book is about. The totally dysfunctional lives of a family of freaks.

How was it? It was good. If you read a lot I would recommend it. If you don't read a lot, then I would recommend you spend your time reading something better. It wasn't great, but once I was about half-way through I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next. I was let down with the ending though.

So there you go. Another five minutes of your life wasted finding out what I think about something.

-Ward

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Half of the women? who else recommended it, or do you only know four women?

I found myself unable to look away, and after a while I forgot (a little) that they were freaks and "enjoyed" the family dynamics.

I was also let down by the end. I haven't pondered it much, but surely there could have been anothter way to wrap things up.