Saturday, May 3, 2008

Guess Who Just Turned 20?

So what do Red House Painters, Afghan Whigs, Iron and Wine, Rogue Wave, Saint Etienne, Mudhoney, Sunny Day Real Estate, Band Of Horses, Flight of the Conchords (Chris, Have you guessed where I'm going here?), Postal Service, Galaxie 500, Modest Mouse, Sebadoh, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie and Nirvana have in common. Other than the fact that they are some pretty decent artists (as well as quite a few not mentioned) they have all been at some point, past or present, on the Sub Pop Label. Sub Pop just turned 20 last month (depending on when you truly count their beginning, if you go back to the 1979 fanzine Subterranean Pop where it all began then they are a tad bit older). This summer they are throwing a 20th anniversary Festival, so if you are going to be in the area at the beginning of July, you should check it out.

Anyways, I thought I would throw a few Sub Pop You Tube Vids in for the day.




I heard this song on the radio a few years back and went out and bought the album immediately, which I NEVER do. I love the songs Clark Gable and Nothing Better and blah, blah, blah. I dig this album the most. And I also dig Death Cab For Cutie, whom have an ablum being released May 13 called Narrow Stairs in case some how you missed that news bit and you want to be the first to own it.



Ah, I just love his voice! This is Iron and Wine, or Sam Beam.




I like the Shins, 'nough said.

Don't you just want to move to Seattle and join a band or join a band and then move to Seattle or don't you just not. Wanna do that I mean.

ENJOY!!!

-june

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm chilling on my porch with some friends and using you guys' blog as a playlist.

Anonymous said...

I was just telling my sister yesaterday that I don't think that anyone but me cares for my music blogs but I keep doing them because I like doing them, so it is very nice to hear that someone other than me and Ward is listening. And of course, as always, I hope that you enjoyed it!

-june

Anonymous said...

Hey we enjoy them!

And I would be all over that Sub Pop bash if I could. I mean Green River performing for the first time in over 20 years?

Oh yeah.