Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Listen Here

In October 1996 we went to see a band called The Lemonheads, maybe you've heard of them? Maybe you've read a blog about them if you've never heard of them? Anyways the opening band was called Fountains of Wayne and they rocked. I remember thinking they were really good for an opening band. I remember thinking they were just really good. Then in Febrauary 1997 we went to see the Smashing Pumpkins (whom used to rock a lot), maybe you've heard of them? Anyways, the opening band was none other than the Fountains of Wayne. And they rocked even more.

Interesting (lengthy) sidenote, my husband to be and I both attended (though not together) a show at Randolp Macon-Women's College when They Might Be Giants came to town in 1994 or 1995. Anyways the opening band was called Ivy, co-formed by none other than bassist Adam Schlesinger whom would go on to be half of the real talent that goes into Fountains of Wayne (the other half, Chris Collingwood). Schlesinger also produced several They Might Be Giants songs. Ivy's album 'I Hate December' was put out by Scratchie Records which is owned by James Iha and Darcy of the Smashing Pumpkins as well as Schlesinger himself. Maybe that's how FOW got the gig playing for the Pumpkins, I don't know.

So anyways, Ward and I saw them at Tremont Music Hall where they played with the Lemonheads and we bought the album. By the time we saw them with the Pumpkins we knew all the songs and we're really digging them. To this day that album is my favorite but they have continued to put out some great stuff. Unfortunately, we haven't seen them since they were the opening band.

Ward says listen to:



I say listen to because this is my ALL time FAVORITE Fountains of Wayne song:



-june

Schlesinger also wrote the title track to the movie "That Thing You Do".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea where that rating system came from at the bottom of your posts now? I had the same thing happen on mine, but I have no idea from where it came. Let me know if you do. I feel like I'm in school again and being graded!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I noticed it on your blog and I thought it was something you added. Until I get this comment I didn't even know it was on our blog. It is like we are in school again. I hope you give us an A.

-june