Thursday, April 24, 2008

"The Best Thing To Come Out Of England Since The Road to Scotland"

So some of you may think I have forgotten to post a music blog, but no, I was saving up so I could post several videos of one of my all time favorite artists.

One of the most overlooked artists ever looked in my opinion is Billy Bragg. He writes songs about love and politics. He has a voice that is unique and easy to listen to. And he's british.

My dad was a fan and I grew up with 'Back to Basics' as a common background sound. A few years ago I had the chance to see him live and the performance only boosted my interest in him. He was asked by Woody Guthrie's daughter to put music to some of her fathers lyrics and the outcome was a collaboration with Wilco on two albums, Mermaid Avenue and Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2 which are definitely worth a listen. My favorite song by Bragg is 'Help Save the Youth of America' which I couldn't locate for you but I found a few decent runner ups to share.

I understand that Bragg may be an acquired taste for some but I think he is pretty good and I think you should give him a listen, if you don't care for him you will be happy to know that all the clips are very short as far as music clips go.

This first one is 'Greetings to the New Brunette' and is the original music video for TV.




This next one is a runner up for one of my favorites, It's "Lovers Town Revisited" and its short.



This last one is the most recent a collaboration with Kate Nash doing one of his biggest 'hits' "A New England". "A New England" doesn't start until he begins singing, the first thing is the first verse from her hit 'Foundation'. This is the best version of 'A New England' on You Tube, but he does it better on the album Back To Basics, but then again he was 21. This was taped in March of this year. Man, he's getting old. But I still love you Billy.



She screws the words up a couple of times but he doesn't look like he's going to hold that against her, though I might.

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY

-june

No comments: