Thursday, February 7, 2008

Join My Revolution!

As some of you may know I am strongly in favor of reforming the Two-Party-Political-Circus that passes for Government around here. I have never liked the idea of voting for a candidate based on what political party they represented, because (in my humble opinion) each party has at least as many major flaws as it does good points, and yes I think that they both have good points.

I have always leaned to the left on social issues, and until recently I never cared much about fiscal issues, but I tend to lean right there. For instance, I don't think that a big government is a good government. I don't think that our current welfare system does anything but encourage people to be lazy and avoid responsibility for their own actions. I also think that our tax system could be refined to encourage economic growth, so that the President doesn't have to send everyone a check for $300 dollars every four years (I know that does help get us all through the tough times).

I know, I know, I sound like a republican. Here's the catch, I don't think that I'm better than other people, or that my belief system needs to be shoved down other peoples' throats. I heard one of the Republican candidates talking about Family Values the other day and I thought to myself, "I agree that stronger family units would probably strengthen our society." BUT, the same candidate doesn't think that gay people should have the same rights to have a strong family unit that he thinks is so important. WHY? If anyone can give me a reason for this, for thinking that someone is somehow sub-human for choosing a different lifestyle, I would love to hear it.

There are a few other things also: I don't think that the government should have any say over Scientific Research, morality should be left up to individuals to decide, I'd bet that very few people dying of cancer feel that that is what god really wants for them. I don't think that we need to pay for a government to worry about our health care and retirement for us. Why not, instead of paying them, just save our own money for retirement and pay our own healthcare? I know, because that doesn't leave anything for the poor. There is always the possibility of getting a job.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no ordinary bleeding heart liberal either. I hate that we have prisons full of useless social parisites. First off, why do convicted murders, having exhausted all forms of appeal, die of old age costing us hundreds of thousands of dollars each? And the others, why not work them. There are millions of menial jobs that could be preformed by inmates. Prisons could make profits for their states. But wait, is it inhumane to make someone work for a living?

All I'm saying is that we should be able to easily see that we can clearly do better as a nation. If everyone took a little more interest in thier own well-being, and a little less interest in what their neighbors are doing, we could all get along better. I think that we should remember that we are RESPONSIBLE for not only ourselves, but for what this monstrosity of a government does. I think we need to step up people.

-Ward

No comments: