Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Looking for the next "Nebraska"

I'm ready. I'm ready for a great new album to be released. I'm ready for an album that overwhelms me, wakes me up , keeps me up, surprises me. I'm ready for an album to be released that I don't want to stop listening to until Ward makes fun of me. I'm ready for an album that generates emotions in me reminiscent of Luna's Penthouse or The Cure's Disentegration. Someone old or someone new, just give me something new. I loved the Shout Out Louds Howl Howl, Gaff Gaff, but I was underwhelmed by last year's Our Ill Will's. Same thing with Interpol's last album. Even the most recent Shins and Decemberists albums while very good took me several listens before I was certain. I want another album like Bright Eyes I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, where everything comes together beautifully and the outcome is astonishing. The Killers claimed they'd done it with Sam's Town, but I was never convinced.

Am I the only one that feels this way, why is it so hard to find great stuff? Has it all been done before, is there no one left creative enough to bring me something new? Is it my age, is there already good stuff out there and I am just missing it. Have I looked that great band over, please don't tell me it's The Moldy Peaches.

I suppose I will keep hunting and perhaps eventually find what I'm looking for, I just want to be impressed, is that too much to ask?

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear 'em, literally.

-June

No comments: