Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Literary Recomendations From Us?

We were recently asked for our opinion on a good book to read. Something witty was the category I think. Well you should know that it is not safe to ask for our opinion if you're not ready for it, so here it goes.

Ward Says:

Well, it's been a while since I've read much fiction but I was always a huge fan of Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and Mark Twain. In my opinion they are hands down the best American authors, pretty much ever. They both will deliver the wit that you say you are looking for, and I don't think that they go anywhere near goofiness.

Last summer I read the entire Harry Potter book series, because I knew I would never read them if the last book came out and everyone around me (who had been reading them since the beginning) ruined the ending for me. Other than that I mostly read non-fiction anymore. I guess I finally got tired of not knowing everything.

I'm currently reading: A People's History Of The United States by Howard Zinn, A Stubbornly Persistent Illusion the scientific writings of Albert Einstein edited with commentary by Stephen Hawking, Quantum by Jim Al-Khalili, A Briefer History Of Time by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, and A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle (this one I'm reading aloud).

I read A Brief History Of Time a few years ago, and ever since I've been a physics junkie.

June says:

I, too, like Vonnegut. Ward actually introduced me to Vonnegut’s Hocus Pocus and Slaughterhouse Five when we first met and I’ve been reading his stuff ever since. Ward also talked me into reading all of the Harry Potter books last summer, I was a few books behind him but once I got started I really enjoyed them. A group of our friends and Ward and I actually went to the release party for the seventh book (we never said we weren’t dorks) and spent the next week finishing the series. My point is, Ward usually recommends good stuff so you may just want to stick with his suggestions but I will add a few for good measure.

One of my favorite authors is Nick Hornsby and if you are looking for a good book I would recommend either About a Boy or High Fidelity.

I realize that even though I read a fair bit I wouldn’t say that I read a lot of humorous stuff. I also find that a lot of new authors while good and entertaining leave a lot to be desired. But some of my all time favorites are The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Once Upon a Day by Lisa Tucker, Evidence of Things Unseen by Marianne Wiggins, and My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. (This recommending stuff is harder than it seems).

Unfortunately I haven’t read a lot of real interest in the past year. I have read a lot but they have been pregnancy books and then baby books and now how to get your screaming infant to sleep books. I enjoy a good novel and can’t wait to be able to start reading for enjoyment again soon.

I am also listening to A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle.

-Ward and June




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found something which is turning out to be somewhat clever.. A Spot of Bother--by Mark Haddon. He's english, I tend to enjoy that brand of humor. I've already read all of those Hornby books, and I did like them. English humor.

I like non fiction too, it's just not usually that funny.