Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Today, I really am proud to be One.

I watched hours upon hours of television last night. I stayed up until well after midnight and I only forced myself to go to bed because I have a busy day today. But what I witnessed last night was so powerful that my thoughts were not lending me to sleep. I am so proud of my country at this moment. I was so worried that the race would be so much closer, that by today we would still not know the direction we were headed, but at 11:01 when they announced the winner, I was awestruck, complete with tears and goosebumps.

This morning, before I jump into the many things I have to do today I checked a few blogs and Facebook. I wanted to see the reaction of my friends and family to the election. What I saw was mostly what I had expected, the Obama supporters overjoyed and moved, the McCain supporters dissappointed and suggesting voters were 'drunk' when heading to the polls or that we are a 'stupid country' but aside from those negative, expected comments one Facebook users comment really struck me. A friend of mine from Germany commented 'we obviously can'. That she, being not an American, would look at this victory on our soil as "we" is so moving to me. It supports my belief that we are all connected, the entire world, that the world was looking at us, and that we made the right decision. Last night as I saw the footage of the people of Kenya jumping and cheering the same as the people of Chicago, my mind was swarming with the thoughts of the rest of the world and how we are a great nation, and once again I am proud to be part of this wonderful nation.

I know a lot of people are disappointed that their candidate wasn't elected, and I can understand that. But I hope in the days and weeks and months to come that they decide to support their new president so that we can come together and get this country moving in the right direction again. I hope that Obama will be as strong a leader as I think he can be, that he does not disappoint.

I could go on and on, but I really do have tons of things to do today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I saw similar things on my facebook. It ran the spectrum. My feeling is that no matter what your political leanings, let's all hope that Obama lives up to the hype. Let's hope that he fulfills his potential and leads our country in the right direction. I'm rooting for him right now and I am choosing to believe that he can do it.

Great to find someone with amazing music tastes, by the way! ;-)