Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It all feels a little too much like work.

Why is that men can pack so much easier than women? We leave one week from today on a two week excursion to the west coast. I have been working on a packing list for three weeks. I finally decided yesterday it would be best to best to begin packing.

While Todd got the suitcases out I readied my extensive list. Todd set in immediately to picking seven pairs of shorts, two pairs of jeans and a pair of khakis. I, in addition to observing how quickly he chose his pants, went looking for my favorite maternity pants. Before I remembered that there is no such thing because all of my maternity pants are just as unflattering as the next he was on to t-shirts. I decided to move on to looking for my best white t-shirt which mean the white t-shirt with the least stains and before I turned around Todd had packed his socks and pajama pants. When he moved on to bathing suits I thought I would be ahead of the game and move to bathing suits but as I was searching through them I got a mental picture of myself in one of those things, I managed to pack a suit but I doubt I will wear it. By the time Todd announced he was finished packing I was far too physically and mentally tired to continue on so I decided to stack the suitcase in the corner and give it a day or two. It's going to take that long before I can muster up the courage to face my closet again.

My mother-in-law would be so disappointed, she would have been packed and ready to go three weeks ago.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I hate packing. It gives me anxiety. I always feel like I am going to forget something vital. It's dumb.

I used to start weeks before a trip, making lists and gathering things, and I would still never feel quite ready.

This time I haven't even thought about it. I will probably tell the kids how many days we are going to be gone and let them pack themselves. (A trick I am sure to regret when people start running out of underwear)