Monday, May 17, 2010

Stubborn, Not Stupid

So I took a few days off other than an easy run on the treadmill like I mentioned in my last post. I thought I knew better than everyone else offering me advice and I decided that because my knee wasn't currently causing me any pain that I would go out for the Candler's Mountain Wild Wednesday Trail Run last Wednesday. I even decided to go on the longer of the two designated runs.

For the first two miles I was fine. No pain at all. I wasn't running particularly fast but I was passing runners who normally beat me at races by a long-shot going up the hills. I was enjoying myself immensely. And then somewhere around 3 miles the knee started up. It wasn't too bad so I kept going. I walked a little but I was on trails I was completely unfamiliar with so I didn't want to get too far behind the other runners. I talked with a few other runners I caught up with about my knee. Each of them had similar stories to share with me. It seems if you run you will ultimately endure a knee injury of some kind. Each of them told me the same thing, stay off of it until it heals. No one could tell me how long that will be.

By five miles my husband reappeared having long since finished the run. When he saw that my knee was bothering me he understandably shouted at me to stop running and berated my poor judgement for the rest of the run for which I was almost in tears for all of it because I was concerned, embarrassed and wanted nothing more than to run.

At the end of the run I talked with a few of the runners who had told me they had suffered knee pain or more specifically iliotibial band pain. They recommended a visit to a physical therapist and rest. Maybe some ice, but definitely rest.

I have not run at all since Wednesday. I called a physical therapist first thing Thursday morning but I can't get in for three weeks. I iced the knee several times, ordered a Pro-tec Iliotibial Band on Amazon and am working on an addiction to ibuprofen. I vowed to take several days off, though I haven't decided exactly how many, I am going to let my knee decide when it is ready. Then I am going to start especially slow and with distances of about 2-3 miles. Having taken the last five days off my knee is feeling fine but I don't want to rush it. I also have been going to the gym (3 times last week) to work on strengthening my hips and leg muscles. For the past eight months I have focused almost solely on running and cycling. Stretching and strengthening have not really been a focus of my training. I am now beginning to think that my training was suffering because it wasn't really fully rounded. I have also been paying more attention to my protein intake.

I believe this is my running trying to teach me something else about my life and my body. I am trying to listen. Really. I haven't registered for any of the three races coming up at the end of the month though I would be lying if I said I was content not running them. The one I want to run the most is a trail run two days after my physical therapy appointment. I am going to see how the knee is feeling and what the PT says before I make any decisions on that race.

I charted my running for the year last night and found that my running during April had been for long distances but had been fairly sporadic due to illness and other factors. Then in May when I tried to return to a normal routine and reach 15-20 weekly miles I injured myself. Overuse? Increasing distance too fast? Overpronation? I'm not sure what exactly caused the injury but I know that above all else I want to still be running in six months, in six years, heck maybe in sixty years, so I have to be more level headed.

I am not running this weeks Wild Wednesday Trail Run. I am going to sit at home, ice my knee and pout while Todd does.

10 comments:

Britney said...

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that I am following you from MBC, "Under a 100 Followers" group. I am hoping when you get a chance you can follow me back at http://www.britneysbeautyblog.com and http://www.britneysbeautymark.com. Also, I wanted to know if you would be interested in doing a link exchange with my sites and yours. Please let me know. Also, it has been nice meeting you via the web.

Thanks, Tracey

阿楊 said...

卡爾.桑得柏:「除非先有夢,否則一切皆不成。」共勉!.............................................

麗娟麗娟 said...

新浪視訊 色妹妹視訊高雄援交 34c視訊網愛聊天室 一對多視訊拓網辣妹視訊 176視訊聊天室 av最前線 視訊交友90739南台灣視訊 性愛貼圖 視訊聊天室90739 show-live視訊情色網 援交女豆豆出租情人視訊 sogo論壇視訊辣妹 桃園兼職援交辣妹視訊 一對一視訊520sex 日本視訊小魔女自拍 av1688影音娛樂網 辣手美眉甜心寶貝直播貼片 免費色咪咪視訊網pc交友 視訊美女ggoo 免費視訊情色網 咆哮小老鼠 高雄援交夢中情人情趣用品 sex888免費看影片波霸美女寫真 sex888免費看影片 視訊新竹援交留言 0401成人聊天室 甜心寶貝貼影片援交友留言桃園 sogo論壇080情人網 視訊泳裝秀拓網交友 色美眉免費看視訊 免費色咪咪影片網兼職援交 聊天室ilover99 a片天堂卡通aa片 台灣情色網無碼avdvd 色色網 sexydiamondsex888入口 高雄視訊辣妹自拍 免費a片亞洲東洋影片 hilive本土自拍天堂 西門慶成人論壇 費aaa片試看 dudusex免費影片 avdvd一夜情色妹妹免費情慾影片觀賞 qq美美色網影片av免費影片 日本a片自拍偷拍網站情色小說 jp成人a片 日本avdvd女優xxx383美女寫真

wesley's mom (sue) said...

Seriously, how do you get so many asians to comment? No one foreign EVER has anything to say on my blog. I'm a little jealous.

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

我對自己的信心已超越別人對我的評價..............................

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

俊蘇宏 said...

人生是一連串的課程,必須活過才能明白。 ..................................................

tgibson said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人..................................................

jackveronic said...

線上免費成人觀賞 視訊 摸摸耳聊天 免費av 視訊交友網 女優 性感寶貝 成人影片交流 偷拍性交 ut色情聊天室 女人愛愛 情趣 同志18禁 少女裸睡 aa洪爺影城 a片面 情色守門員 麗的色情小戲 一夜情 383影音live秀 影音視訊 玩美女人試看 美女女優寫真 辣妹自拍貼圖網 人妻線上看 免費影片 77p2p 85街 a圖網a圖貼圖 美女寫真 85cc+ 免費成人 85st 視訊聊天 貼圖區 援交 情人視訊 免費脫衣秀 dvd av女優 洪爺影城下載區 大奶影片 sex888貼圖區 170部a下載 日本巨乳a片 百性線上直播網 後宮電影院長 限制級視訊 0204視訊美女 免費性愛片 正妹日報

Molly said...

I was running and started wearing heels on a regular basis and it made my knee hurt so bad I felt like I couldn't walk so I started using the elliptical. It's a really tough work out and takes some of the pressure off your knee.

If you're like me though, staying stationary kind of sucks. Maybe you could use an elliptical once a week in place of one run and it would help you too.

I'd love it if you could check out my blog sometime: http://withmonsters.blogspot.com/