Thursday, September 17, 2009

Four weeks

Two days before Sean was born I was asked by another mother if I was ready for my cesarean, and I felt I was with one major exception, I wasn't sure if I was ready for the change in myself. I knew that overnight I would be going from who I'd been, a pregnant, mother of two, to a newer self' a no longer pregnant, mother of three and all that this new life would bring. It was far more difficult adjusting from being pregnant to being a new mother of twins just 20 months ago, I fell into a funk, not necessarily postpartum depression, but definitely a postpartum funk, and it lasted for quite sometime, about eleven weeks I believe. So I was, four short weeks ago, a little worried about my ability to cope with my new self and my new responsibilities.

I am happy to report that I am well. Sure, I wish I had more patience, spoke a little softer when Bailey shoves Cooper, and of course a third arm would be wonderful. But all in all, I am happy, I am well, I am adjusted. I have had a lot of help these past four weeks, help in many ways and I feel that with the departure of my sister-in-law yesterday, is for the most part gone. I am weary that the world that has emerged may start to shake now that I am all alone from 7-5, but in some form or another, we will survive, mostly (I hope) unscathed, as a happy and functioning family of 5.

It's good to not miss being pregnant, to not feel the level of exhaustion that accompanied newborn twins, to really know that this too will pass, so I'd better damn well enjoy those ten tiny precious fingers now before they are used to perhaps shove an older sister or smack an older brother. Being a second time around mom is like having already been to Disneyland and knowing which rides are worth going to first thing and which things should be skipped entirely. If only trips to Disneyland didn't seem to fly by so fast.

And like I've said before, as long as there is nap time, I know I will survive.

1 comment:

Cheryle said...

Sorry I've been away from blogging for so long, but it appears that you've managed quite well without me! :)

Sean is gorgeous, and I'm so glad the twins are adapting. My 3-1/2 year old grandson had a little trouble getting used to a new sister, but all is well now. She thinks he hung the moon and stars, and he - well, he thinks so, too!

Everything sounds wonderful. Thanks for keeping us updated.